Joshua V. Azran
CPA/ABV/CFF, CMA, CGMA, CFE
CPA/ABV/CFF, CMA, CGMA, CFE
Certifications & Credentials:
- Certified Public Accountant (CPA)
- Accredited in Business Valuation (ABV)
- Certified in Financial Forensics (CFF)
- Certified Management Accountant (CMA)
- Chartered Global Management Accountant (CGMA)
- Certified Fraud Examiner (CFE)
- American Institute of Certified Public Accountants (AICPA)
- California Society of Certified Public Accountants (CalCPA)
- Institute of Management Accountants (IMA)
- Association of Certified Fraud Examiners (ACFE)
- National Association of Certified Valuators and Analysts (NACVA)
Awards & Accolades:
- Mentor - Founder Institute World’s Largest Entrepreneur Training & Startup Launch Program
- Mentor in Excellence Award Winner - Founder Institute - Los Angeles 2013
- Global 100 (Top Ranked Startup Mentors Worldwide) - Founder Institute
- Mentor - CalCPA Los Angeles Chapter
- Mentor - Institute of Management Accountants (IMA)
- Mentor - StartupGrind
- Exam Writer - AICPA Accredited in Business Valuation (ABV) Exam Writing Task Force
- Beta Tester - AICPA Certified in Financial Forensics (CFF) Exam
- Advisory Council Member - Association of Certified Fraud Examiners (ACFE)
- Customer Council Program Participant - Accountant and Advisor Customer Council for Intuit Inc. - 2012–2014
- Intuit VIP 40 (Top 40 Global Accounting Influencers) - Intuit Inc.
- Task Force Member - AICPA Forensic & Litigation Services (FLS) Digital Assets Task Force
- They Lost Major Coin—and Now the Tax Bill Is Due - Daily Beast
- IRS Stance on Crypto Spurs Confusion, Relief in Tax Profession - Bloomberg Tax
- Crypto Question on Income Tax Form May Not Be Easy to Answer - Bloomberg Tax
- Take A Bow: The Companies Supporting The Blockchain Industry - Forbes
- Cryptocurrency’s Unrealized Opportunities for U.S. Tax Professionals - Bitcoin Magazine
- How finance and accounting can boost innovation - Journal of Accountancy
FEATURED ON THE COVER OF ACCOUNTING TODAY
Joshua V. Azran is a Certified Public Accountant (CPA) with extensive experience ensuring clients’ financial success by providing strategic guidance and managing financial functions. Joshua is a visionary leader with expertise in public accounting, corporate finance, strategic management, financial restructuring, business valuation, management consulting, and business development. He is skilled at identifying value-added opportunities, implementing solutions, and partnering with professionals at all levels of an organization to ensure the success of financial initiatives. He excels at utilizing a consultative client approach to bring integrated solutions to even the most complex issues. Joshua has a strong reputation for “going the extra mile” to achieve 100% client satisfaction by creating high-trust, high-impact relationships with clients.
Joshua holds a Bachelor of Science with a dual major in Economics and Finance from Fairleigh Dickinson University in Madison, New Jersey. Following college, Joshua was recruited into Johnson & Johnson’s (J&J) prestigious Finance Leadership Development Program (FLDP), serving internal audit and corporate finance roles. Joshua left to move to Goldman Sachs and finally own an apparel manufacturing company before bringing his experience to help clients.
Joshua formed Maginam Consulting in 2005, which provided financial consulting and strategic management services to private and public companies, including interim-CFO and controller services, management consulting, financial modeling, business valuation, mergers & acquisitions advisory services, and restructuring services. Maginam provided Startup CFO services & M&A Advisory Services to various tech startups & entertainment companies. A heavy focus was on the “second wave of mobile startups,” with Joshua serving in the top finance roles (Finance Director & CFO) and overseeing day-to-day operations at one of the market leaders.
In addition to heading Maginam, Joshua taught financial modeling and valuations to investment bankers and management consultants for the Wall Street Training Firm, The Analyst Exchange for companies ranging from Morgan Stanley to DLC.
Wanting to provide more comprehensive solutions for his clients, Joshua entered into Public Accounting. He rapidly pursued and achieved many of the top accounting designations.
In November 2010, Joshua founded Azran Financial with a vision to utilize his extensive expertise and experience in the field, coupled with the latest technology, to provide efficient solutions and the very best service for his clients. The firm’s original focus was to meet the needs of entrepreneurs and investment funds and do so through leveraging cloud accounting.
The firm established itself early as a thought leader in startup accounting. Mr. Azran is known as the original Startup CPA. On the investment funds side, Real Estate CPA and Venture Capital CPA work became an early and robust focus area due to deep subject matter expertise, especially concerning International Tax. More recently, the firm and Mr. Azran have established themselves as thought leaders in Blockchain Accounting and Cryptocurrency Taxation.
In 2020, Joshua Azran joined with Charles Hawkins to form what would become Origins Group, a full-service accounting, tax, and consulting firm providing a full range of services from traditional accounting, tax, and consulting to advanced topics like mergers & acquisitions advisory, advanced tax planning, and audit preparation services.
In addition, Joshua was a lecturer in the College of Business Administration at Loyola Marymount University in Los Angeles, where he developed & taught the Business Institutions class required for all business majors. He also has spent time serving on the boards of several charitable and professional organizations. Joshua also frequently lectures on topics including but not limited to personal and small business finance & tax planning, startup accounting, startup taxation, cryptocurrency tax, applied blockchain technology, business valuation, & strategic planning.